Leading the Way in Professional Development!
In an increasingly competitive world, it is important that professionals in every career maintain the highest level of knowledge and skill in their areas of expertise. Ascend's Sexual Risk Avoidance (SRA) Certification Program offers a comprehensive, professional designation recognizing individuals who wish to or are currently involved in offering SRA education at the school and community levels.
What does SRAS certification offer to the SRA field?
SRAS certification offers educators the opportunity to distinguish themselves in their field, increase credibility and demonstrate a professional commitment to enhancing their teaching expertise by:
- Providing competency, knowledge and performance-based training
- Encouraging uniform levels of professional expertise in the SRA methodology
- Increasing the overall quality of school and community sex education
- Providing seasoned SRA educators with a continuing education opportunity that includes the most recent research, data and trends in sexual health
- Offering a quality professional development opportunity to Title V and CAE grantees
- Granting the SRAS (Sexual Risk Avoidance Specialist) designation after one’s name upon successful completion of credentialing requirement
What topics are covered in the training?
The credential training covers a comprehensive list of topics relevant to the SRA field. Topics include:
- Defining the SRA approach
- The public health basis for SRA
- Theoretical frameworks that support SRA
- A historical overview of sex education content and policy in America
- The Content and Context of successful SRA programs
- Building parent-child connectedness
- Understanding and implementing an evidenced-based approach
- Sexual health data, research, trends and medical accuracy
- Understanding evaluation designs, implementation and outcomes
- Principles of effective public messaging
SRA Certification Training Format
Training topics are presented in two ways:
- On-line pre-course reading assignments and quizzes are administered to training participants by Ascend.
- Ascend's trainers provide a two-day, live presentation seminar with an exam after each training day.
Note: The pre-course work is foundational to the live training presentation. There are nine pre-course modules with a quiz after each module to be completed on line before the live training event.
What score is required to achieve the SRAS designation?
- The final score will be determined as follows: 50% from quiz scores and 50% from final exam scores. A cumulative score of 80% must be achieved in order to become SRA certified.
What are the additional requirements and terms of the SRAS Certification?
- Each participant must submit a Letter of Endorsement
- Signed agreement to abide by the SRA Code of Ethics
- The credential is valid for two years
- Recredentialing opportunities available through on-line continuing education
For more information please click here.